Under 30 years of age? Try a Youth Exchange Program


Canada has reciprocal agreements with many European countries and some Asian and South American countries that typically allow individuals 18 to 30 or 35 years of age to work in Canada for one year. Sometimes a university degree or post-graduate training is required, but not always. A work permit must be granted prior to an individual arriving in Canada.

A youth (or young worker) exchange program is an excellent way for a younger person to work in Canada and gain valuable adaptability points if he or she is interested in permanently immigrating to Canada.

I recently assisted two Switzerland workers in obtaining a work permit to work for a Canadian employer in their field of training. As their positions would not likely have been granted HRSDC confirmation, obtaining a work permit for either of them would have been difficult without the Canada-Switzerland young worker exchange program. They can now work in Canada and decide if permanent immigration is in their future.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile