Paying the Right of Permanent Resident Fee


Paying the right of permanent residence ree is more complicated than it should be. Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not provide very good instructions when the right of permanent residence fee is requested.

If you are sponsorsing an out-of-Canada spouse, the right of permanent residence fee is best paid online. I typically send a copy of the receipt with the bar code on it to both Mississauga and the consulate which is processing the spouse’s application.

For skilled workers, the fee is paid by bank draft or money order to the consulate processing the application. Watch the payable line however, as some consulates require the funds to be payable to the “Receiver General for Canada” and others to the “Canadian Consulate General.”

If you can afford, it is generally a good idea to pay the right of permanent residence fee up-front, along with your application fees. This can speed processing the file in many cases.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile