If you don’t score 67 points, try for the Canadian Experience Class


If you can not score 67 points – the minimum score required – for the Federal skilled worker program, you do have other options for permanent immigration to Canada.

The Canadian Experience Class requires 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada (there is also a post-graduation scheme that I’ll address in another blog).

You work experience in Canada must have been performed legally with a valid work permit, and the work must fall within the duties described in NOC 0, A or B (click here for the NOC link).

Applicants must also meet various minimum language requirements depending on their whether their occupation falls within NOC 0, A or B.

The best part? This is a pass/fail category. In other words, there are no minimum points to achieve. You either meet the requirements and pass or you don’t. Important factors in the Federal skilled worker program such as education and work history outside Canada are not considered in the Canadian Experience Class category.

So sharpen that resume and start applying to Canadian employers who are willing sponsor you for a position in Canada. If you live in the US or Mexico, you may be able to take advantage of NAFTA, discussed in various other blog postings on this site.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile