Crossing the Border with a Work Permit


Congratulations your work permit has been approved!

Before you cross the border, you may wish to have my useful list of documents readily available for inspection by the border officers to make your crossing as smooth as possible (other documents may be required depending on your particular circumstances):

  • Approval letter from CIC
  • Copies of degrees or educational documents
  • Copies of any previous employment contracts or agreements related to your work in Canada
  • Latest bank statements and investment statements
  • Original birth certificates for all family members
  • Current passports for all family members
  • Vehicle registration certificate and title (depending on how your title looks, you may need a permission letter from your financier – i.e., if it is joint title, you may need further documentation). Note that your vehicle will have to pass provincial inspection if you want insurance here – modification may be likely including day time running lights (which are fairly inexpensive to install) and others depending on the model and make of the vehicle
  • A list in duplicate of all the goods you are bringing into Canada, showing their value, make, model, and serial number where applicable. Smaller items such as “dishes” can be lumped in one category with an estimated value.
  • Report any currency / monetary instruments you are bringing with you that exceed $10,000 (i.e., cash, traveler’s cheques, bank drafts)
  • Avoid importing any firearms
  • Veterinary certificate for any dogs or cats which must include recent rabies vaccination and statements of good health
  • Houseplants may be imported, please declare at border. No plants intended to be planted outside may enter Canada
  • Do not bring any fresh fruit, meat or vegetables of any kind

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile