Child over 21? Try the Nova Scotia PNP


People who wish to immigrate to Canada and who have children over age 21 quickly discover that those children are not generally considered dependents (with exceptions for students and those with special needs).

As a result, those children will not be able to immigrate under their parents’ immigration Canada application.  Even more, those children usually do not have the work experience and education required to immigrate on their own.

Are there any options available for these families?

Some provincial nominee programs have family re-unification streams that may allow non-dependent children to immigrate quickly.

For example, in Nova Scotia, a non-dependent child can immigrate if his or her parents were nominated under the Nova Scotia PNP and who are permanent residents of Canada. The non-dependent child must have completed at least one year of post-secondary education (training program or apprenticeship is also acceptable) and received a degree, diploma or certificate.  The child must also have one year work experience in his or her field of study.

If you have children over 21, you may want to consider if you can immigrate under the Nova Scotia PNP in order to assist you children to immigrate later.

Click here for more information on this program.

I’ll be looking at other provincial nominee programs in future blogs.



About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile