Canada Immigration and Young Workers


The new Ministerial Instruction makes having employment experience in Canada that much more important in order to immigrate to Canada. If your occupation does not fall within the narrow list of occupations in the Ministerial Instruction, you will need Canadian employment experience (or fit within other categories).

If you are between 18 and 30 years of age with no dependents, you may qualify for an open work permit if you are a citizen of a country with which Canada has an exchange agreement.

I can not list all the countries and criteria here as the list is too extensive. Countries all over the world participate, so it is worthwhile taking the time to see if your country has an agreement with Canada. If so, you may be able to work here quite easily for any employer you wish for a limited amount of time.

If you are planning to apply as a skilled worker in the future, gaining work experience in Canada first would be a wise (and possibly required) step before applying for permanent residence.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile