Federal Skilled Workers


As you may know, to apply for permanent residence as a federal skilled worker, you need experience in a specifically listed occupation (or have an arranged offer of employment with a Canadian employer).

Click here to view the list of occupations and their descriptions.

As of June 30, the quotas for each occupation have been re-set.  Each occupation will take a maximum of 500 applicants in the following year, with a total maximum of 10,000 applicants for the federal skilled worker class.

It is best to apply as soon as possible before the quota for your occupations is filled.  If that happens, then you won’t be able to apply this year.

A greater risk is that next year the occupation list could change and your occupation may be removed.  In this case, you would need arranged employment or apply through a provincial nominee program – both of which are more onerous than applying through a listed occupation through the federal skilled worker program.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile