Work Permits for Information Technology Workers


If you wish to immigrate to Canada and apply for permanent residence and your occupation does not fall within the current restricted list of qualifying occupations, you’ll need work experience in Canada first before applying for permanent residence.

In order to get work experience, you’ll need a work permit. For most people, the big hurdle to overcome is to get a positive Labour Market Opinion which simply means the government agrees that it would be difficult for a Canadian employer to find a Canadian to do the work.

One way to by-pass the Labour Market Opinion requirement is to apply for a work permit under a special information technology program. Citizenship and Immigration Canada has designated certain informational technology workers who do not need to obtain a Labour Market Opinion to get a work permit.

In other words, if you fall within this category, all you need is a job offer in Canada, and the paperwork for your Canadian employer is minimal.

The qualifying IT occupations at this time are the following:

1. Senior Animation Effects Editor


2. Embedded Systems Software Designer


3. MIS Software Designer


4. Multimedia Software Developer


5. Software Developer – Services


6. Software Products Developer


7. Telecommunications Software Designer

There are detailed work and technical experience requirements for each of the above categories, but if you fit within one of them, it will be far easier for you to obtain a work permit.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile