Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Work Permit for Foreign Students

Discussion in 'Studying in Canada' started by Wanderer, Feb 13, 2012.

  1. Wanderer

    Wanderer New Member

    There is a section on this forum which mentioned something about foreign students in Canada being allowed to work part-time on campus. I was doing my random Google search when I came across a page about foreign students working off-campus. Is this possible? Does the immigration grant foreign students a work permit while they are studying? What are the restrictions?
  2. PerpetualStudent

    PerpetualStudent New Member

    I hope there will be some allowance, but I'm having second thoughts about off-campus work opportunities right now. I'm going to check to see what various universities say and then maybe seek out a professional expert in the field to help advise me.
  3. abroaduni

    abroaduni New Member

    It may be,but I have heard that,Canadian government has started a lot of facilities for international students.So,I would like to suggest you that,you should search online regarding this.And definitely,you will get best results.

    Good Luck!!!
  4. Magnolias

    Magnolias New Member

    I know this is an old topic, but in case someone finds it now or in the future: Yes, it's possible to get a permit for work off-campus, but there are some conditions. For starters, the university in Canada where you are studying has to participate in the work off-campus program. You're only eligible for the permit if you've studied full-time for at least six months in the year preceding application. You must also maintain satisfactory academic standing and you'll lose the permit if you no longer study full-time.

    Also, exchange students are not eligible.
  5. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    It's always worthwhile to be able to work off-campus - valuable work experience and extra funds for your studies.
  6. Shineey

    Shineey New Member

    Thanks for the useful information Magnolias. I am guessing there will be some kind of restriction on the hours a foreign student can work, right? Perhaps on the type of work too?
  7. Pioneer

    Pioneer Member

    Working while you are in college is always a good idea. Sure, you might be able to live off of your student loans, but eventually you will have to pay them back. The sooner you get started on doing that, the better.
  8. Allthebest

    Allthebest New Member

    As of now(since June 1, 2014), International students in Canada are allowed to work Off-Campus with their Study Permit. Other documents such as SIN can be applied for in Service Canada offices across the country.

Share This Page