Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Study abroad while processing in canada?

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Hyewon Choi, Jun 23, 2014.

  1. Hyewon Choi

    Hyewon Choi New Member

    I am currently waiting for a permanent resident approval in Canada. I have applied as a common-law relationship in Jan. 2014.

    Since I was still in university, I have been back and forth a lot from my home country. Although I explained fully about the situation, it concerns me if they sees it as fraud.

    On top of that, I recently got admission from graduate school in Germany, but I am not sure if it is okay to leave outside Canada for that reason. It is one-year program and I'd like to come back every 3-4 months. Another option is my fiance move to Germany with me, but it is unlikely for now.

    I think attending school is reasonable, but not quite sure about the CIC point of view.

    We put so much effort into this relationship for last 4 years. Is there any advice to my situation?

    Please and Thank you!
  2. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    To start, you need to have lived together continuously for at least 12 months. CIC does allow separation but it depends on the circumstances. Typically they accept separation due to immigration issues. However, if you are living elsewhere to go to school, it may be a challenge to uphold the common law status.

    Do you have other joint assets, or anything else to show you have a "marriage like" relationship?

Share This Page