Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Student Health Care

Discussion in 'Studying in Canada' started by Samson2, Jan 30, 2014.

  1. Samson2

    Samson2 New Member

    My son is a permanent U.S. resident. with dual Canadian/American citizenship, and will be attending University in Ontario. We've found out that he will not be able to apply for the University's international healthcare. This means if he should become sick while studying he will pay out of pocket to see a doctor on campus. Is he able to apply for his Ontario Provincial Health Insurance while there?
    frank201601 likes this.
  2. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    Yes, he should be eligible after 3 months for OHIP coverage. During that 3 months it is best to buy private insurance. Check with Blue Cross Canada for private medical insurance (I'm not affiliated with them at all by the way).
    frank201601 likes this.
  3. Allthebest

    Allthebest New Member

    In addition to the previous post, your son will be eligible for a Provincial Health Plan after approximately 90 days since he enters Canada as a university student. But, I don't think Blue Cross is a good option though. They have pretty low benefits,no emergency dental coverage (only accidental up to a 1,000 CAD). I would recommend to go with a bigger companies like TIC or Manulife. It is not going to be expensive for 3 months for a young man. You can also get a refund in case there were no claims. If someone wants to check the prices just google "visitors to canada on-line calculator"
    frank201601 likes this.

Share This Page