Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Spouse Visa option for an IEC visa holder ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KPS, Feb 16, 2013.

  1. KPS

    KPS New Member

    I have Canadian work permit under International experience Canada (IEC)category and my query is that if my spouse can get an open work permit or not ? if so, how should it be done... if no, what other options can we explore as she holds an Indian passport (but Permanent Resident in Australia)and is not eligible under IEC...
    I hold an Australian passport and yet to activate my International experience Canada Visa... I would like to take her along...should we first apply for TRV on Indian passport.. what are the chances of getting Temporary Resident visa?
    one more thing... is invitation letter is mandatory to get TRV , can't i just write a letter to the embassy that I have work permit and will be visiting canada to activate the same and please issue TRV for my wife ??
    Please advice me..
    carolina likes this.
  2. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    This could be pretty complex. As I recall, most IEC's are only open to single applicants (though I could be wrong in your case). Did you apply before getting married? You should first check the conditions of your IEC. I haven't seen an open work permit issued for the spouse of a work study travel program - typically because married people are often excluded.

    An invitation letter is not necessarily required of course - there are lots of people who travel to Canada under a TRV who have nobody here to write any sort of letter.
    carolina likes this.
  3. Pioneer

    Pioneer Member

    Often, you can bring your family over to another country, as long as you have the legal right to be there. It shouldn't matter whether your husband has a work permit or not. If you are legally married, he should have the right to be there, as well.
    carolina likes this.

Share This Page