Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Six months study provision

Discussion in 'Studying in Canada' started by PerpetualStudent, Feb 15, 2012.

  1. PerpetualStudent

    PerpetualStudent New Member

    I've found that I only need a study permit for an educational program that goes on for 6 months or more. If I want to study for longer than 6 months, which I do, I'll need a study permit. This permit lets me work part-time on campus, so I guess that's my next step, after I get accepted into a Canadian university, of course.
  2. Maple

    Maple New Member

    Yes, I've read about that, too. A study permit is not required for short-term courses. These are programs which last six months or less. I checked the Canadian Immigration site and they suggest applying for a study permit even if you don't need one because you might want to want study another program after you finish your short-term course.
  3. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    It's always a good idea to apply for a study permit, even for a short-term course (that does not strictly require one), as you may wish to continue your studies or apply for a longer course once you are in Canada. It is much easier to arrange for a study permit before you arrive then apply to change conditions once you are here.
  4. Pioneer

    Pioneer Member

    Surely you would still need permission to study in Canada, even if it is less than 6 months? Or can you just enter the country if you are enrolled in school?
  5. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    There are rules that allow for study under 6 months without a study permit, although individuals who require a temporary resident visa would still need to secure one.
  6. Andy Duhurst

    Andy Duhurst New Member

    I'm interested in hearing more about the type of courses that run for less than 6 months. They don't sound like they'd lead to any recognised qualification, so I am not sure who would want to take them, as an immigrant I mean.
  7. loon92

    loon92 New Member

    Maybe you would take it as introductory courses. It could be a course that is not offered anywhere else but Canada and you want to take it. If I understand correctly you would not be able to work part-time during this period, am I right? It would be expensive to stay for 5-6 months and not work.
  8. Ammie

    Ammie New Member

    I think the experience of living in Canada for 6 months is just as valuable as the study course one wants to do. If it is entirely about the course content, I am sure there are cheaper places to go to than Canada.
  9. Rosalie

    Rosalie New Member

    I agree with you Ammie, it is for the experience of living in Canada. I'm sure if after a month or two you are enjoying your stay, you could always apply for a study permit. It would be a good way of deciding which university or college you want to attend and whether you will want to stay in that particular city.

Share This Page