Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Same sex relationships

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Andy Duhurst, May 6, 2013.

  1. Andy Duhurst

    Andy Duhurst New Member

    How is it for people who are involved in a same sex relationship when it comes to sponsorship? Is it possible for one partner to sponsor the other, (presuming they are Canadian)?
  2. WanderingSue

    WanderingSue New Member

    There are some situations where this would be possible, but they are limited by the date and place that the marriage took place. If it was outside of Canada then it seems there is no way to do it. The better news is that same-sex couples can apply as common-law partners.
  3. Andy Duhurst

    Andy Duhurst New Member

    Thanks very much for the informative reply Sue. I didn't know that the common law partner status could apply to same sex couples. I had seen it but assumed it meant unmarried traditional couples.
  4. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    Yes, I've had many successful applications on behalf of same sex couples.
  5. judyk

    judyk New Member

    What is required to be granted common law partner status? I wish we had common law recognition where I live. I still jokingly refer to my mate as my 'virtual husband':cool:
  6. loon92

    loon92 New Member

    According to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website common-law is living together as partners for at least 12 consecutive months. This applies to either opposite sex or same-sex partners. You also need to prove that you are living in a common-law relationship.
  7. robert david baker

    robert david baker New Member

    Is it compulsory to prove the common-law relationship for every partner who are living together for some consecutive months.How can we prove it , with the help of lawyer or is there any legal procedure, can you mention here ? ?

Share This Page