Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Retired with interest in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Northern Lights, Feb 8, 2012.

  1. Northern Lights

    Northern Lights New Member

    I fell in love with Canada when I visited there about 15 years ago. I am thinking of living there part of the year after I fully retire in just a few years. I am currently an American citizen. Is it possible to live in Canada for just the summer months. What kinds of papers are needed?
  2. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    So long as you have no criminal record and you have connections to the US, you can generally live here up to 6 months per year. There is no application to complete, but you should bring evidence of your connections to the US to the border. Such things as property titles, bank accounts, pension statements, and so forth will show you have a connection to the US and thus you will be more likely to leave after 6 months (which is what the border officers will be trying to determine).
  3. Northern Lights

    Northern Lights New Member

    Thanks, Panusa. I would never have thought to bring property titles although I would naturally have my bank statements and retirement income payments. I am not yet on Social Security, but I would have my Social Security card with me as well as all identification and work records.
  4. Wanderer

    Wanderer New Member

    I know a couple of seniors who have visited Canada. Some of them aren't even from the United States. In their case, they presented a letter of invitation (among other documents) from their children or a family member. As Panusa said, it is relevant that anyone who visits Canada must convince the immigration that they will leave Canada after 6 months.
  5. PerpetualStudent

    PerpetualStudent New Member

    This is good information to know, and I have so much to learn. I'd like to live in Canada for about six months or even a year or more, but I'd have to go a different route because I'll be a part-time student. At least my parents and friends could come and visit me.

Share This Page