Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Paralyzed child

Discussion in 'Medical Conditions' started by Magnolias, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. Magnolias

    Magnolias New Member

    I read an article yesterday about a family who was denied permanent residence because their daughter had cerebral palsy. If I understand CIC policy right, it is possible for permanent residents to sponsor their disabled children. But if they have a disabled child, can they become permanent residents in the first place?
  2. Pioneer

    Pioneer Member

    It might be because it is obvious that it is going to cost a lot of money to care for the child. Canada might not want to take on the responsibilities of the medical care of a child that is a different nationality.
  3. Andy Duhurst

    Andy Duhurst New Member

    I would definitely explore the options in this case. I have a friend with CP and he doesn't have any health issues other than the usual things that affect us all. I am not sure that CP automatically means a financial drain on the medical services.
  4. Rosalie

    Rosalie New Member

    If the child is a dependent and would have to immigrate to Canada with the parent, the child would also require a physical examination. If Canada doesn't allow someone with a disability permanent residency then the parents would not get permanent residency either.
  5. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    It really depends on the financial burden the child's condition will place on the Canadian medical system. The doctor will determine if that burden reaches the current cutoff thresholds or not.

Share This Page