Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Common law partner

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by PierreL, Feb 19, 2015.

  1. PierreL

    PierreL New Member

    I am looking for advice or help. I have a common law partner (I am from Canada, she is from Switzerland) with whom I currently live with in Switzerland for the past 5 years. I am on a work visa and hope to bring my partner with me when I return to Canada. My name is not on many of the bills here as most of it is in her name. I have some of my personal bills and mail (credit cards, etc) that are sent to me at this address. What kind of evidence will I need to help further prove common law and/or does the fact that we don't have a mortgage or lease with both our names going to hurt us?
  2. andrew-brit

    andrew-brit New Member

    Having a lease/mortgage with both of your names on it is great to prove common-law, but it is not the only thing you can have.

    Is there any way your partner's land lord/lady can write a letter saying that you have lived there for x years?

    Providing bank statements, bills etc from both of you showing the same address is good, as is anything that is addressed to you both like wedding invitations.

    If possible try and add each other on to your life insurance and/or work health plans and include documents showing this.

Share This Page