Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Children of parents who did not renew their PR status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roamal, Jul 10, 2015.

  1. Roamal

    Roamal New Member

    This is question on behalf of two children (now adults in their early 20s) whose PR status expired by their parents not being in Canada with them long enough to renew the PR cards that expired in 2007. The children now wish to seek revival of their PR status on the grounds that they were unable to remain in Canada long enough due to their parents moving back to their native country. The children both had social insurance numbers etc.

    Is there a way the two children can present their case to CIC for revival of the PR status so that they can move back to Canada as permanent residents? Please let me know.

  2. david wilson

    david wilson Member

    If they wish to renew their PR cards at this point, the parents can because they meet the residency obligation but the application must originate in Canada but it is not specified that they themselves must be in Canada. However, they need a Canadian mailing address if they do this. They need someone to mail the application from inside Canada and whose address they could give in case immigration mails the PR cards because they will not mail them outside Canada. It is also possible that immigration will require them to pick up the PR cards in person in which case they'd have to travel. As for the children, I do not see the point of applying to renew their PR cards at this point as they do not meet the residency obligation and they will not get them renewed.

Share This Page