Quebec Investor Program2005-07-06
If you qualify as an investor and you’d like to immigrate to Canada as quickly as possible, Quebec may be an attractive destination for you. Although immigration is a federal responsibility, Quebec was granted the sole responsibility to select all independent immigrants and refugees abroad pursuant to the 1991 Canada-Quebec Accord. Even so, Canada retained the power to exclude immigrants on grounds of inadmissibility based on medical, criminal or security grounds.
The basic requirements of the Quebec Investor Program:
An applicant must satsify these basic requirements in order to be considered under the Quebec Investor Program:
1) 3 years of management experience:
– in a farming, commercial or industrial business that is profitable and legal;
– for a government or one of it’s department or agencies;
– for an international agency.
Management experience is defined as the actual assuming on a full-time basis in the ten years preceding the application for a selection certificate, responsibilities and duties related to the planning, management and control of financial resources and of human or material resources, provided that such responsibilities and duties are not assumed in the context of an apprenticeship, training or specialization process attested to by a diploma.
2) Net assets of at least $800,000 accumulated through his legal economic activities;
3) Indicated intention to settle and invest in Quebec an amount of CAD $400,000. An investment agreement must be signed with a broker or trust company that entered into an agreement with Investissement Quebec. The term of the investment is five years. The purpose of this investment is to finance the growth of Quebec based companies. The investment is guaranteed by the Quebec Government and is returned to the investor without interest in 5 years. This amount can also be financed (discussed in a previous blog).
Once accepted as an investor applicant, there are no further requirements once an applicant and his or her family arrive in Canada.