Canada Immigration Urgent Permanent Resident Card


Permanent resident cards are required for permanent residents to travel back to Canada by a commercial carrier, and they are a very good idea when returning to Canada using your own vehicle.

What happens if you’ve been granted permanent residence, but realize it will be months before you are issued a permanent resident card, and you have to travel soon?

There is a process to get your PR card on an expedited basis.

You complete the permanent resident card application as you normally would.  However, for urgent processing, you must included a photocopy of your travel tickets (or e-tickets) and write, “Urgent – Proof of Travel” on the envelope before mailing.

You must include proof that that ticket has been paid for, including the date, the amount and even the method of payment.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will contact you within 2 business days after receipt to advise you whether or not your PR card can be issued in time.

It is a very good idea to buy travel cancellation insurance for any travels scheduled before your PR card is issued in case your PR card is not issued in time.


About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile

  1. November 12, 2012

    Hi, I am a new immigrant and am in Canada, Vancouver right now, need to go back to my country on 11 Dec. I and my family have applied for the PR card on 5 October and have not yet received the card. We have also changed our address once on 8 Oct. which I dont know if it affects the processing time for the cards.

    I know there is a way to ask for an urgent processing of the PR card. Do you recommend us to go for that or do you think that the cards will come by then?……..Thank you

  2. November 12, 2012

    In my experience, it is doubtful you will receive your PR card by then. Try for urgent processing if you can. Otherwise, you can always apply for a travel document after you leave the country if you are near a foreign Canadian embassy, but you’d be best to discuss that option with legal counsel before you leave.

Write a comment:

Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.