Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

What is the Provincial Nominee Program?

Discussion in 'Provincial Nominee' started by Wanderer, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

Is the provincial nominee program relatively new? I don't think I've heard of it before. How does it differ from the Skilled Worker Program since both programs enable the applicant to land in Canada as a permanent resident? Does it take a shorter time to process a provincial nominee application?
  2. Maple

Maple New Member

Based on what I've heard, the main difference is that under the Provincial Nominee Program, the applicants must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory. As such, you have to have a prospective employer. I think that each of the provinces or territory has a specific criteria for eligibility though.
  3. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes that is correct. A province has to nominate you and generally it is an employer-driven process (so you would need a job offer to be nominated). However, there are programs for entrepreneurs and investors, and health care workers can often find employment through provincial agencies as part of the PNP process.
  4. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I see. Thanks everyone! I read in another section that under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, only applicants whose work experience falls under the occupations listed by the immigration are qualified to apply. Does the Provincial Nominee Program also 'favor' certain occupations?
  5. Maple

Maple New Member

I did a little research and I found out that in Ontario, employers can recruit foreign workers/employees for positions that are under the National Occupation Classification (NOC) skill type O (managerial occupations), A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations). Each province may have a different criteria.
  6. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

From reading elsewhere on the website, I'm seeing that Canada is extremely fair about letting people come into the country in order to do jobs that are of importance in an open and free-thinking country.
  7. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I also think that it significantly depends on the 'immigration needs' of a particular province or territory. There are certain occupations that are high in demand at a certain period.
  8. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Each province will determine their labour needs and the needs of employers and the specific application itself in making a nominee decision. Generally, skilled and professional workers are typically the ones who are successful, but some provinces (such as Saskatchewan) have a provisions for "semi-skilled" workers without a lot formal training in their occupation.
  9. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

I didn't realize that when you apply, you apply individually to each province. So, then I guess you shouldn't get discouraged if you are turned down in one province. You can always try in another, am I right?
  10. slovakhope

slovakhope New Member

I've had several friends apply through the PNP program and I think one of the hurdles not often talked about is language. So many people have poor English skills and don't realize what level their English should be at to fill out a simple form. I do think awareness is rising.
  11. rich

rich New Member

im a nurse in Saudi Arabia for 4yrs. I have a brother who is permanent resident in Alberta, Am I qualified under Provincial Nominee Program in Alberta?