Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Types of temporary jobs

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Northern Lights, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I'm assuming if we're living in Canada for five months of so during the summer, we can pick up odd jobs like working in a shop or doing light jobs as any retired couple likes to do to get out and meet people. Are there restrictions an incoming temporary resident should know about?
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

You actually can not work in Canada without a work permit, even doing odd jobs. If you are caught working without a permit you will be deported and likely excluded from Canada for 2 years. It is best to avoid any work while here as a temporary resident. Even certain volunteer activities can be considered "work" for which a permit is required.
  3. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

This sounds more and more like I need to approach the whole "living in Canada" project from a different direction. In my case it would be through the educational system, perhaps. It's good that you offer a service that can help people maneuver through all the red tape required to live in Canada.
  4. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I'll be thoroughly researching Canadian work permits before we head across the border and depending upon picking up an odd job or two. There's more to living in another country than I realized.
  5. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

Yes, I heard that Canada imposes restrictions on those with a temporary resident status. You are not allowed to work if you don't have a work permit.
  6. judyk

judyk New Member

Perpetual Student:
    Yes, there is a LOT more to it than I would have imagined. I am glad for somewhere to get some questions answered. Thank you.