Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Temporary jobs in Canada

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Northern Lights, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

Are there restrictions on U.S. citizens who want to take a part-time or temporary job in Canada while they are living there a few months of the year? I enjoy picking up occasional jobs in retail, in computer work or doing temporary writing and freelancing jobs. I'd love to be able to do some of these things while living in Canada during the summer.
  2. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

I was wondering the same thing. I know I'll end up needing to work at least part-time while I'm living in Canada. I didn't realize the cost of living was so high in some of the cities I was considering. It's higher than in New York City, evidently.
  3. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

No,I don't think that,there are restrictions on U.S citizens for doing part time work in Canada.I am an American and I had been to Canada 2 years ago,while I was staying there ,I did a lot of part time jobs in Toronto.Because,it is one of most expensive cities of the world and it was necessary for surviving there.But I have never faced any kind of problem there.So,there is no need to worry about it.

Good Luck!!!!!

canada work permit
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

I know people do casually work in Canada without a permit, but you should know that it is not permitted, even for very short periods of time. You definitely need a work permit (or be able to work under an agreement such as NAFTA) to work in Canada for any length of time. There are also "working holiday" visas available to certain younger people from certain countries that would allow you to travel and work in Canada as well.