Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Super Visa

Discussion in 'Visiting Canada' started by Maple, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Maple

Maple New Member

It seems that Immigration Canada has been implementing several changes in their policies. Someone has told me about the introduction of the so-called "Super Visa" which favors parents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. What makes the Super Visa different from the 'regular' Visitor Visa?
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the super visa is quite new. It was introduced when CIC suspended applications for parent and grandparent sponsorships by Canadian permanent residents and citizens. CIC realized that family reunification was (and is) an important part of our immigration system. As a result, CIC introduced the super visa for parents and grandparents which allows them to secure a visitor visa for up to 10 years - unheard of in the history of the Canadian immigration system.
  3. Maple

Maple New Member

It's a good thing that grandparents can also benefit from this program. If the parents or grandparents are already in Canada by virtue of the 'regular' visitor visa which usually grants them six months (I hope I'm right) of stay in Canada, can they apply for an extension under the Super Visa category?
  4. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

5. Maple

Maple New Member

So far, what I know and have understood about the Super Visa is that it allows parents and grandparents to stay in Canada for 2 years without the need to renew their status every 6 months or so unlike those who visited Canada under the old visitor visa program. Since there is a temporary pause on the processing of applications to sponsor parents and grandparents, the Super Visa is the current solution for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to be with their parents and grandparents. ;)
  6. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I am neither a parent nor a grandparent of anyone living in Canada, nor do I have any family living there. I would like to live there for three months each summer when I retire. I guess my next step is to do some online research to see what is actually possible.
  7. Panusa

It can certainly be done - there is a post in the General section on staying in Canada for up to 6 months per year.
  8. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I have been reading and finding out it's easier to visit Canada and live there for several months than I thought it was going to be. This site has been helpful.
  9. judyk

judyk New Member

Wow, up to ten years stay, that's long. And then what? That would stink to have been granted a 'Super Visa' for 10 years, and then not qualify for renewal. Does the government pretty much plan on letting those people stay?
  10. Panusa

Great question! The supervisa was implemented as a "stop gap" approach while the government reviewed the parent sponsorship rules. The idea was that a new sponsorship program would be implemented and those parents could be sponsored during the period of their supervisa. And in fact, a new sponsorship program will begin next year.
  11. slovakhope

slovakhope New Member

I understand that the SuperVisa program will continue even when sponsorship starts up. Won't that let the government deny SuperVisas saying "we are not convinced your parents will return to their country of origin, why don't they apply for sponsorship instead?" This is what happened to us before the SuperVisa.
  12. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Is it possible that you can apply for a resident visa after you have been approved with a super visa and when you are already in Canada? One rule states that you can renew your visa, so can we just renew it every time its nearing expiration? Is there a limit for renewal?
  13. Rosalie

Rosalie New Member

Do you know how the new sponsorship program will work? Will it be a straight forward sponsor for permanent residency? Will it only apply in cases where it is proven that they will face hardship if returned to their own country?
  14. Panusa

Thank you! Feel free to share this forum on your social network if you wish. Always here to help when I can.