Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Studying French

Discussion in 'Studying in Canada' started by WanderingSue, May 4, 2013.

1. WanderingSue

WanderingSue New Member

I would like to know if taking a full time language course (in French) would provide any advantages should I apply to work in Canada after it is finished. Perhaps there are certain courses or schools that are better choices in this situation?
  2. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

It sounds like a great idea. I would make sure you choose a school with a good name. I don't know about Canada but I have heard of language schools in some countries that are not totally legitimate.
  3. WanderingSue

WanderingSue New Member

Thanks for the comment Andy. I hadn't thought of that, so when I read your message I did a bit of research. It is scary to find out that some countries have schools that are just a front for entry. I will be sure to look for a school that is official and legitimate.
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

It's also best to try to find a school that teaches toward a recognized French language test in order to maximize your scores on that test, thus maximizing your points for immigration.
  5. loon92

loon92 New Member

I can see how learning French would help you apply to work in Canada. It seems that if you want to work in parts of Canada, like Quebec or Ontario where you'll find mostly French-speaking citizens, you probably need to know French. The government is bilingual, both English and French, so their services would be given in both languages. I've visited Quebec and they speak mostly French, with some speaking fluent English.
  6. slovakhope

slovakhope New Member

I've lived in Quebec and even though it's supposed to be bilingual it seems there is a preference for French from many employers and government agencies. I'm sure with the politics French speakers are highly preferred. Just m opinion.
  7. Ryan

Ryan New Member

If you are going to French-speaking provinces, like Montreal and Quebec, then learning French is a very good idea. However, if you plan to stay in other provinces that have English as their major language then there is no need to study French. My aunt lives in Calgary for more than 20 years and she doesn't have to learn how to speak French.
  8. Rosalie

Rosalie New Member

This makes sense Ryan. Not all provinces in Canada are French speaking so one would assume it isn't needed. Although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to learn the second language in case you decide to move to a French speaking province.
  9. smith

smith New Member

Even though it's not required, it is recommended by the CIC that you make an effort to learn both English and French as they are both the official languages of Canada.