Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Study permit

Discussion in 'Studying in Canada' started by Andrey, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Hello dear experts,
    I have got some questions about study permit.
    -Is it as long valid as I'm going to study there or a little bit longer? I am going to study in Canada from September 2014 to April 2015, so, would the study permit be valid only from September 2014 to April 2015?
    -Can I apply for it online, if I am a permanent resident of Germany, although I am a ukranien citizen? Is the same true for a stateless permanent resident of Germany?
    Maybe somebody can answer these questions from his or her own experiance, as strangely enaugp neither Canada Visa Application Centre nor the embassy in Vienna nor consular section in Berlin could answer these simple questions, besides, I couldn't find the answers anywhere on the web.
    Thanks in advance
    Sincerely,
    Andrey
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

A study permit is typically issued with an end date a couple of months after your program ends (so you don't have to leave immediately). So I'd guess it will be valid to at least June 2015 (but the visa officer has some discretion there).

You should be able to apply online for it, so long as you have a scanner or digital camera. However, check to see if you have a Visa Application Centre nearby - that would be ideal as the VAC will submit the application for you and give you a file number to track online.
    Hope this helps.