Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Statute of limitations

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges and Convictions' started by Queenie, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Queenie

Queenie New Member

I don't know if I'm phrasing this correctly, but I'm wondering if there is a sort of statute of limitations for convicted criminals and entry to Canada. In other words, if someone is convicted of crime in another country, serves their time, and, say, 20 years goes by without another conviction, could they then apply to live in Canada?
  2. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

Depending on the severity of the crime they can apply to be deemed rehabilitated or, if that fails, apply for individual rehabilitation. Those applications can take over a year to process.
  3. Queenie

Queenie New Member

Interesting. Not that I need to know this for myself! :p I was just wondering if a situation like that would keep someone out for good or if they would one day have an opportunity.
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

As a side note here, serious crimes are never deemed rehabilitated. In those cases, the only option in an application for criminal rehabilitation, which will be a tough case to make in my experience.
  5. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Most countries have enough criminals of their own. They are not about to bring people into the country that is already known to be a criminal, prior to entering the country.
  6. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

I think a lot of people are confused about what counts against them when it comes to criminal offences and immigration applications. There are some things that can be expunged when a certain amount of time has passed, and it is worth looking into that before you even start the process.
  7. dian11

dian11 New Member

This is interesting and useful for me):