Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Spousal sponsorship with no current employment

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Expat71, May 11, 2015.

1. Expat71

Expat71 New Member

Hello,

I am Canadian by birth. My husband and I met while working in the Cayman Islands. We were recently rolled over and are living with his family in Honduras (he is an Honduran national). I want to apply to sponsor him for PR but I don't currently have a job. Would it be better for me to return to Canada and take up employment first before I apply to be a sponsor or is there another way I can present this to have the application approved now. We are just trying to avoid the 2 years living apart so I would like to apply before returning to Canada on my own.

Thank you
  2. Jeina M.P.

Jeina M.P. Moderator

When Sponsoring a family member, you must be able to prove that you can financially support you, your husband and any other dependents that will be included in the application. The first stage of the application is to approve you as a Sponsor. You can work in Canada or in Honduras, but you need to prove that you have enough financial support and/or work history (usually 12 months prior to applying) to show you will be able to support the family members you are sponsoring.

For example:

Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) - Minimum necessary income

1 person (the sponsor) -$23,861
    2 persons -$29,706
    3 persons -$36,520
    4 persons -$44,340
    5 persons -$50,290
    6 persons -$56,718
    7 persons -$63,147
    More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,429
  3. Expat71

Expat71 New Member

Thank you so much for your response.

My past salary has been approximately $70k annually and my prospects for work in Canada are approximately in that same range. Would you suggest I show 12 months of previous salary and potential salary in Canada. I must return to work in Canada without my spouse as work prospects here in Honduras are grim but I would like to get the application in before I leave but I want to ensure it isn't a waste of time.

Thank you again for the advice.
  4. Expat71

Expat71 New Member

Can anyone please clarify if showing history and potential employment opportunities would be sufficient for a sponsorship application?

Thank you
  5. andrew-brit

andrew-brit New Member

Hello Expat71,

First of all let me just say that is not a requirement to have employment to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner. Many full time students successfully sponsor their partners, or people who are not employed.

The LICO talked about above is not relevant for spousal sponsorship, it relates to sponsoring your parents or other family members.

If you are not employed at the time of applying then you should include proof that

a) you are looking for work (interviews, the types of jobs you will apply for, salary, etc
    b) the types of job and salary that your partner will apply for once they get PR
    c) any savings you both have,
    d) your plan to support yourselves - if a family member has offered to let you stay with them initially then ask them to write a letter saying so

Sorry for the delay in this message, I just signed up today.
  6. Expat71

Expat71 New Member

Thanks for this...I did get approved as a sponsor but provided the info you suggested above.