Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

sponsoring wife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angus, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Angus

Angus New Member

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen, as well as my son. My wife is not. We are not living in Canada. I understand that I can still sponsor her. Someone told me I have to live in Canada when I sponsor her. Is this true?
    carolina likes this.
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Hi Angus,

As a Canadian citizen you can sponsor her while living overseas. However, you need a plan and evidence of your return to Canada once the application is approved. For my clients, I've used the following:

- A detailed written plan to return, including dates, housing and employment
    - Affidavits from individuals to whom you've spoken about your desire to return to Canada (if applicable)
    - Any expiring overseas visas
    - Any job offers in Canada
    - Any compelling reasons to return, such as a better health or education system for the children.

You get the idea - put more information in your application than less - it is one point that CIC will evaluate pretty carefully.

Hope this helps!
    carolina likes this.
  3. Angus

Angus New Member

Hi,

Thanks for replying. What if we can only stay in Canada for three months before I have to return to work overseas?

Angues
    carolina likes this.
  4. Queenie

Queenie New Member

I don't have an answer for you, Angues, but I do have an additional question pertaining to your situation. If you can only stay in Canada for three months before returning to your overseas job, why not just get her a visa?
    carolina likes this.
  5. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

You can inform Canada that you will be returning and would like to sponsor your family. They will tell you the steps you need to follow. You might have to inform them of where you will be living, so it is best to have your residence set up before you start the process.
    carolina likes this.
  6. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

In my experience, CIC provides very little direction to sponsors who are sponsoring from overseas. It is generally up to the applicant to provide evidence that they will return, along with "adequate" financial resources of support once they return.
    carolina likes this.