Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Sponsoring Parents and Grandparents for Permanent Residence

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Maple, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Maple

Maple New Member

As the 'Super Visa' is becoming clearer to me now, I get to see more of its downside. The introduction of the 'Super Visa' meant shelving the immigration program on sponsoring parents and grandparents for permanent residence. Yes, the Super Visa might be a faster solution to being reunited with your loved ones, but they remain as tourists thus they can't enjoy the benefits and privileges of being a senior permanent resident in Canada. :rolleyes:
  2. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I just want to make it clear. Do you mean that parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can no longer be sponsored to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents? If so, I assume or hope that this change is only temporary.
  3. Maple

Maple New Member

I tried to read more about this change and yes, the Canadian immigration has not been accepting applications to sponsor parents and grandparents since November of last year. This move is temporary though and is a measure to reduce the backlog.
  4. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

I wonder why they instituted such a law in the first place. If they're trying to cut down on the number of boomers and aging people coming into the country, that makes some sense. It doesn't make sense if it's only a temporary restriction.
  5. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

We would fall into the aging and boomer category, but we don't have anyone in the country to sponsor us, even if the program were still in effect. We may fall under the six months guidelines, however.
  6. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

I'm glad to see that the six months provision regarding living in Canada would be something that worked for you. I envision wanting to stay longer, so I'll have to do more reading about the student provisions. After that, I don't know, since I may end up working part-time or even full time if I get a job in Canada after my courses are over.
  7. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

Yes, the six months rule will be sufficient for us. We have strong family ties back in the States and wouldn't want to be away from them, especially during the winter holidays. Family will visit us, too, but all those visits would be during the summer when the weather is better.
  8. Ammie

Ammie New Member

I am fairly new to the guidelines and laws for immigration to Canada, but what I have learned from the posts in this thread is that the chances for older people to immigrate to Canada, do not look good at all (for now, at least). Do these rules of no-sponsorship include parents and grandparents who have children with permanent residency in Canada? If so, this is a sure way of preventing people to immigrate to Canada.

9. Sumair Ali

Sumair Ali New Member

Hello,
    Just joined the forum and looking for some advice.
    First, the application details:

• Application Type: Sponsorship (Parents w/ One dependent only)
    • Application Date: 2009-12-30
    • Acknowledgement Letter: 2010-01-18
    • CPC Mississauga Letter: 2013-08-02

My family:
    Father
    Mother
    Me :)
    Sister A (now married)
    Sister B (student of last year of Medicine)
    Sister C (pursuing an MBA and the dependent in application)
    Now that I have to send documents within 90 days (2013-11-02), I am wondering a few things:
    > Status of Sister C
    - She turned 22 in June 2013 and completed her undergraduate degree in June 2013 but has enrolled in MBA for October 2013.
    - Is there a possibility that the short break (July-September) will be seen as a 'break' from full-time studies?
    > Add Sister B to my application:
    - I applied for my parents and my youngest sister (Sister C) only, as in 2009, my income would only be eligible for a family of 4 even though all my sisters were dependent on my parents. In addition, I anticipated that these applications take a long time and I wasn't sure what would be the status of my sisters. Indeed, one of my sisters (Sister A) got married and is no longer a dependent.
    - My income is above the 2013-LICO for 5 family member (49, 102) but it is below the new regulations that will come in to effect January 2014 (2013-LICO + 30% = 63,833)
    - Both Sisters B and C are now above 22 years old but both of them have been dependent on my parents/me as they are full time students.
    - Is there any chance Sister B can be included in the application? I think from a government point of view, it is a win-win situation that they would allow two non-economic persons but offsetting them are two highly educated dependents almost ready to enter workforce (and thus pay taxes). But from legal/CIC perspective, my 2009 income is not eligible for 5 dependents neither would be the current income as per "future" rules but the reality is, I am supporting them anyways.
    > If CIC feels Sister C is not dependent, will they refuse the entire application (my parents') as well?
    Thanks for reading the *entire* post if you made to the end! Appreciate any ideas, suggestions!
  10. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

I'll respond shortly.
  11. Panusa

All sponsorship of parents and grandparents is suspended until January 2014.

12. Panusa

Ok, note this is not legal advice but generally speaking, were all the sisters under 22 and included in the application in 2009? If so, their age should be "locked-in" at the time of application, and they should still qualify if they surpassed age 22 at the time the application is approved.

However, the sister who is married will no longer be considered a dependent. However if she is divorced by the time the visa is issued, she may then be considered dependent if her age was locked-in under 22 at the time of application.

Your income is likely the more pressing issue. You can use your spouse's income as well so long as she is willing to co-sign the sponsorship application. Also, be sure to look at line 150 of your tax return, total income not net.

Hope this helps.

13. Sumair Ali

Sumair Ali New Member

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it.

I applied for my parents and my youngest sister (Sister C) only, as in 2009, my income would only been eligible for a family of 4.
    So it is good to know Sister C status would be "locked-in". I was a little concerned about that.

Unfortunately, I did not add Sister B in 2009. She was born in 1989 so was under 22 in 2009 but now she is 24. Though, she is still a dependent as she is going to Medical school that my parents/me are paying for.
    This is what I am seeking advice for... should/can I add Sister B as an "accompanying" dependent now that I have received request for documentation and CIC is going to start processing the application? My 2012 income is sufficient for 2013 LICO for a family of 5.
    If CIC does not see Sister B as a dependent, would they decline the entire application for my parents or just remove Sister B from the application? That would be my biggest concern that I add Sister B and they reject the entire application setting me back 4 years!

I am not concerned with Sister A. She is married and has her own family now. I just added her in the post to give an idea of the family structure in 2009.

I am single. My 2012 income is over 2013 LICO for a family of 5 as long as CIC doesn't apply the new rules (LICO + 30%) or insist on using 2009 income.
  14. Panusa

I've never personally seen CIC "remove" an applicant from an application because of LICO. Typically they will approve or not approve based upon who is included.
  15. Sumair Ali

Sumair Ali New Member

I should have updated this earlier.
    I called up CIC regarding addition of Sister B a few days ago.
    The CIC representative indicated that a *new* dependent cannot be added at this stage of the application. However, if the dependent was added to the application initially as non-accompanying, the status of that dependent can be modified to accompanying (or vice-versa).
    The above does not apply to children born after the application was made.

May be it will help some one else in the future!
  16. Panusa

Ok thanks for the update