Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Sponsoring a partner in a long-distance relationship

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Magnolias, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

I know that it's possible to sponsor a common-law partner, but I understand this doesn't apply to people living in a commited, long-distance relationship? For example, if one person in the relationship is living permanently in Canada and the other lives in another country and can't migrate because of work commitments or legal immigration obstacles.

Can you sponsor a partner in a long-distance relationship? If yes, do you need to somehow prove that there has been a commited relationship and how long it lasted?
  2. Queenie

Queenie New Member

I think that would be categorized as a conjugal partner. If you can show good cause why you haven't been living together, the one living outside of Canada would be eligible for permanent residency.
  3. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

Thank you, Queenie. Now that I know the official term, I can better look into this situation and the probability of success. I just wish we had better receipts to offer the immigration offices, because apart from renting an apartment together for a few months, we've been leading rather separate lives in terms of official obligations.
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

The conjugal partner category is a tough one. You have to show a "marriage like" relationship and if you can't it is an uphill battle. If you've been living separate lives as you say, then your chances under the conjugal category are not very good. Living together for one year moves you to the common law category which is a bit easier.
  5. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

I see. But the tricky part is that to live together for a year, one of us would need a residence permit in the other's country, which would be hard since we haven't lived together long enough to try for the permit on the grounds of partnership.
  6. Mark Smith

Mark Smith Member

Depends on the conjugal partner and you should also be as a conjugal partner, which is harder ...