Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Spoken & written English the critereon or education & experience?

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Jamshyd Osman, Apr 19, 2013.

?

What is the Criterion for Immigration/work permit?

1. Good English

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. the colour of your skin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. skill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. success in life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jamshyd Osman

Jamshyd Osman New Member

Throughout my research I found that its impossible to work or migrate without appropriate educational qualifications but recently I am reading that ppl were turned away by border Mounties for ill spoken & written English. So which is the criterion? I have secondary school leaving certificate but myspoken & written English is very good for Asian standards. I want to migrate as a long haul truck driver and I am frustrated that high school qualification seems to be mandatory even though its not a skilled trade. I am seeking advice on how to go about my application to fill the severe shortage of truck drivers. I was looking into the pnps also. To give some background I am 35 years old, married with a son of 4+, passed secondary school and did some training in vocational school for hospitality & tourism which I didn't finish. I am a citizen of Bangladesh, I have some trucking experience and would love to take further training & drive long haul. We have property which we would liquidate to invest in a trucking business. Please advise as I see no hope for me. thanks
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I'm a bit confused - do you wish to be employed as a truck driver, or migrate as an entrepreneur and open a trucking business?

A certain level of English (or French) is required so you can pass the licensing exams in Canada for large trucks.
  3. Shineey

Shineey New Member

As I understand your post you are looking to find work as a truck driver - with an eye to opening a business in that field at some point in the future?

I don't really understand why Mounties would be administering tests at the border. You mentioned the need for a high school diploma, so without permission there would be no point in trying to cross the border. Is there any chance you can go back to college and get that important certificate?
  4. Jamshyd Osman

Jamshyd Osman New Member

Shineey got my drift. I want to get a job and ultimately open a business although both are options that I may want to explore. Mr Admin, I have excellent English skills and I can pass any language testing but my problem is not possessing a high school leaving certificate. Going back to school is a tedious process in my country where formal adult education is non-existent with the exception of UK certified courses that would take 2-3 years. Immigration officials have turned away qualified applicants with poor english but here I have good English skills and not enough education. So I was thinking if there is a way for highlighting Language skills above educational qualifications.