Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Postgraduate Mentoring

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Ammie, Sep 5, 2013.

  1. Ammie

    Ammie New Member

    I find the idea of living in Canada for three months each year quite appealing. I would typically use the time to write books on Technology, but would not mind mentoring postgraduate students with their Masters and Doctoral studies while being there. Do I need a working visa to become involved in this?
  2. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    Writing books here as a freelancer on your own time and not as an employee of a publisher or anything similar would not require a work permit.

    Mentoring might be a different story. If you charged them money, yes a work permit would be required. If you were solely volunteering, then a work permit is not likely required, depending on the specific circumstances of couse.
  3. Ammie

    Ammie New Member

    Thank you for the information, Panusa. To be a freelancer, I will undoubtedly have to verify that I have sufficient funds to live in Canada for three months. If I do mentoring in collaboration with a university, do I and the educational institution apply for the work permit?

  4. Panusa

    Panusa Administrator Staff Member

    Yes, you would have to work with the university for the work permit. However, if you are a student there, you may be able to work on-campus depending on the conditions of your study permit. If you are not a student, then the university would have to apply for a labour market opinion, and you would have to apply for a work permit.

Share This Page