Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Open Work Permit

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Maple, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Maple

Maple New Member

Temporary foreign workers in Canada are issued a work permit which allows them to work in the country. However, what is this thing which they call 'open work permit'? Is it different from the usual work permit given to those who want to work in Canada temporarily? Who is eligible for an open work permit?
  2. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

The way I see it, the Open Work Permit allows the temporary residents to work in any job with any employer. What I know is that in most cases, temporary foreign workers are allowed to work only in the specific type of job and with the employer as indicated in their work permit.
  3. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

That's correct - an open work permit allows an individual to work for any employer in Canada (for which the worker is qualified of course). Generally, only spouses of individuals with a work permit or student permit are issued open work permits.

There are also work-study programs for citizens of certain countries that allow them to work in Canada for one year. Although not strictly an "open work permit," a work-study program amounts to the same thing - an individual can work for whichever employer he or she chooses in Canada.
  4. Panusa

Remember you need a separate application form for an open work permit, submitted together with the primary applicant's application form for a work permit or study permit.
  5. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Is it possible that an employer will want to hire you permanently after you have worked for a year on the open permit? What steps will you have to take afterward, in order to be able to stay?
  6. Panusa

Sure that's possible, but the answer depends on a lot of factors and based on the circumstances, the occupation and the citizenship of the worker. It may be possible to apply to change conditions, but that depends on a lot of different aspects of the file.
  7. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

Hi,

This is very good opportunities to people, to work out side there country and they can work there within the boundation of rules and regulations of the jobs providing countries.

visa for canada
  8. Kathy Barcelona

Kathy Barcelona New Member

Hi,
    I applied for permanent residence last October 2010 under the Live- In Caregiver category. I received my open work permit last December 2011 and I'm still waiting for my PR approval from cic. I was wondering if I could take any courses (like one subject or two) to update my accounting studies.
  9. Panusa

You can usually take a course under 6 months in length, but check with your educational institution to be sure.
  10. fran

fran New Member

Hi, My husband finished a Masters in QC and I have an open work permit as a spouse valid till August 31 . I currently work.
    He now has all documents required to change his status to a post graduate work permit and I was wondering if this would change my status as well .
    I was told I could not apply for an extension of my permit until he had a job.
  11. Panusa

Don't count on anything happening automatically - you should likely include your renewal application with his status change documents, along with the appropriate fee.
  12. KPS

KPS New Member

Hi, I have received Canadian work permit under International experience Canada category and my query is that if my spouse can get an open work permit or not ? if so, how should it be done... if no, what other options can we explore as she holds an Indian passport and is not eligible under IEC...
    Please advice me..
    Thanks
  13. Panusa

Check the conditions of your IEC - you haven't provided enough information here. Often married people are not eligible for such programs. Perhaps you married after you got approved?
  14. judyk

judyk New Member

Panusa said:
    What countries is Canada primarily interested in? And, why do they have preferential interest in them? Do they have agreements set up with other governments?