Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Open Work Permit for Common-law Partner

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Haniel, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Haniel

Haniel New Member

Hi,

could you please help me? When I got Working Holidays permit and found high-skilled job, my common-law partner got open work permit. Now my common-law partner got Working holidays permit and she would like to apply for Open work permit for me as well with her high-skilled position and meets all criteria which are indicated on immigration web page.. The problem is that our previous attorney claims that after January 31st 2015 it is not possible due to some changes. I did not find any information about that so I started to think that he wants to trick us.

Please help us to solve this problem. I will really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Haniel
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Why does she want an open work permit again? I don't see the advantage over the working holiday visa...
  3. Haniel

Haniel New Member

Hi,

I am sorry for bad explanation. She does not have Working holidays but I have and I have skilled position as well. My question is if I can apply for open work permit for her as my common law partner due to my skilled position NOC 0, A, B? And my work permit validity is for 1 year. Thank you
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Thanks - typically no, you can not get an open work visa for a partner if you are on a working holiday visa. In fact, most working holiday programs are restricted to individuals without partners.