Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Leaving U.S. due to recent election results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Queenie, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Queenie

Queenie New Member

I know this sounds very extreme, but I have a friend who is determined to leave the U.S. now that President Obama is going to be in office for another term. She started researching where to go weeks ago and now here we are and she's filing paperwork. Before every election, I've heard lots of people say if their candidate doesn't win they're going to leave the country, but I've never known anyone who has actually followed through with it.
  2. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

I've heard a lot of people threaten to leave for Canada if Romney wins, and some people actually going through with it when Prop 8 was passed in California. I thought Canada was more along the tastes of Democrats.
  3. Queenie

Queenie New Member

I agree, Magnolias. I think the line of thought here is that even though Canada's government is more geared toward our Democrats, their government is well established and it works. My friend seems to think that Obama is trying to take us in that direction, but that it won't work here and will ultimately collapse our economy.
  4. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

Well, with all due respect to your friend, but she seems to be living in the clouds, so to speak. Nobody can say Obama is a miracle worker with economy, but what are we expecting, considering the mess he inherited from his predecessors? I don't think Romney would've done better, with all the lies, wishful thinking and takesies backsies he's done during his campaign.

But, to stay vaguely on topic ;) I hope Canada and its stability will be more comfortable for your friend.
  5. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Over the years, I've had several clients tell me there were emigrating to Canada because of election results - both Republican and Democrat.
  6. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

In Canada, they have a great health-care program. Obama is actually trying to bring something similar to the U.S. I don't understand what your friend's problem is.
  7. Shineey

Shineey New Member

This is an interesting topic! I know someone vaguely, (through Facebook) that was also threatening to quit the US if Obama won again. She sent ages talking about how she'd liquidise her real estate and investments and invest in Asian markets. I don't think anything actually came of it.
  8. loon92

loon92 New Member

Wow, I could see moving to another country because of something like not agreeing with going to fight in a war and it has happened before. I've never heard of moving because you don't like the elected President. Let us know how it goes for your friend.
  9. Rosalie

Rosalie New Member

Has your friend moved to Canada, Queenie? I really don't understand why someone would immigrate to another country because of an election, unless that election would be put one's life in danger. The economy here in the States isn't that great to begin with so I don't see why your friend is so worried.