Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Investing in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Northern Lights, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I read several years ago that someone recommended allowing people to immigrate to Canada if they agreed to purchase one of the $500,000 homes on the market to help stimulate the economy. I don't think that ever passed, but I'm reading that a family can get a Permanent Resident Visa by investing $800,000 (Canadian dollars) for five years.
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Hi, the purchase of a home is long-standing myth. Purchasing property in Canada will not allow you to immigrate.

However, the investment of $800,000 for five years (interest free) was part of the investor program. That program is currently suspended in order to process the massive backlog of applications. We expect new rules in June 2012.
  3. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

Panusa, thanks for the clarification. I just found that information on this website, and it does make one think the $800,000 investment still stands. As a student, I don't have that much to invest, but it's something my parents or their friends could swing if they wanted to move to Canada. They don't, but who can tell the future?
  4. Maple

Maple New Member

It's my first time to hear about this. I just wonder how you make your investment. I mean, what do you exactly do with the money? Invest it in an immigration-approved company or something like that?
  5. PerpetualStudent

I would think this meant a good quality Canadian bank and instruments such as CDs, mutual funds and shares of Canadian-based publicly held companies. It may be wider than that. They want to see that you have a long-term commitment and are not here for questionable reasons if you have a vested interest.
  6. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

Even with all these restrictions, I feel secure in my plans to live in Canada for several months of the year at least for some of our retirement years. These restrictions make me feel safer, in fact.
  7. PerpetualStudent

I'm with you, Northern Lights. With all the terrorism going on in the world today, it's reassuring to know that a country I want to live in takes such measures to prevent outsiders who do not contribute to the good of the country and its population. Those wishing to do harm are not welcome.
  8. Panusa

Good points, but you should note that the "investment" as part of the (now suspended) investor program is simply loaned to the government for 5 years interest free (there are financing options through some private lenders however).

The "investment" is not in a businesss - it is loaned to the government of Canada, who presumably uses it as part of its general revenue program.
  9. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Certainly someone who could afford to purchase a home that cost that amount would be welcome in any country! Such a person would be an asset to the community.
  10. Panusa

No question about that - if you can afford to purchase a home, you would certainly be an asset to the community.
    carolina likes this.