Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Immigration service companies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reshma, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Reshma

Reshma New Member

Hi, my husband and I applied for permanent residency via the skilled workers route using an immigration consultant service, we were unsuccessful however, now the company is refusing to answer emails or calls since we are now due a refund from them. They are supposed to be a legit company registered with CIC and everything.

Any advice on what we should do? The company is based in Canada whilst we are in the Caribbean.
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

First, you should know that no consultancy or law firm is registered with CIC. If they made such a claim, it is a false one.

Only certified consultants and lawyers can represent you in an immigration matter. You should check to see if they are registered with the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants: https://www.csic-scci.ca/

If they are, you should contact that organization. If they are not, you may have few options left. One idea would be to contact the Better Business Bureau or Consumer Affairs in the province in which they are situated - those organizations may be able to assist.

I do feel for you - it must be a very frustrating experience.

For others reading this thread, you should always avoid a situation where you will be refunded money if you are not successful. Most legitimate consultants and lawyers will not charge you in advance and then refund if you are not successful.
  3. Reshma

Reshma New Member

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time.
    The consultant is registered with the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants. I will contact them.
    Thanks very much.
  4. Panusa

You're wecome. Let us know how it turns out for you.
  5. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

Reshma, did you ever get any answer from the company? Or any help from the CSIC? It sounds to me like the consultant may have simply gone out of business, which is a real shame for you. I hope you got your money back and your next application goes more smoothly.
  6. Reshma

Reshma New Member

Hi Andy, it is as you feared the company has gone out of business. I did at one point contact the director over the phone who claimed he would at least refund me the visa application fee that was sent to the embassy, however nothing ever came of it so they got that too.
    It just so happened that I had contacted the office that collects the fees etc to request that the visa refund be sent to my address instead of the consultant but they said since they had paid with their credit card (because we had sent the money directly to the consultant as they requested) the fee would have to be refunded to that credit card. How unfortunate for us, we couldn't even salvage that.

I refuse to reapply, this situation has really left me discouraged.
  7. Panusa

That's just terrible, have you made any progress since?
  8. Reshma

Reshma New Member

No, there has been no progress since. With regard to the company refunding the money I had contacted the director by phone and he said he would have had the visa processing fee that they refunded to his credit card sent to my address but that seemed to have been just lies,I have not heard anything since.

As for reapplying, I will not be doing that anytime soon. Bad experience.