Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

How Long Can You Work?

Discussion in 'Working in Canada' started by Wanderer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

If you're in Canada holding a temporary work permit, what is the maximum length of time that you can work in Canada? Can you stay and have your job as long as your contract is regularly renewed?
  2. Maple

Maple New Member

I think that a couple of months ago the immigration implemented changes in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. As a result, there is now a limit on how long a temporary foreign worker can work in Canada.
  3. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

It seems like the Canadian Immigration is bent on making amendments here and there when it comes to their immigration programs. I just hope that the regulatory changes in the Temporary Foreign Worker Program are a cause of joy and hope among those who are affected.
  4. Maple

Maple New Member

I went over the changes which concern the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, and it says that a temporary foreign worker can work in Canada for a maximum of four years.
  5. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

I think,there is a limit on foreign worker program,and it may some changes takes place now.For more info,you could consult with the experts.

canada visa

moving to canada
  6. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

There is a general 4 year limit for foreign workers, but there are a lot of exceptions. For example, those working in NOC 0, A are exempt from the four year limit, along with those applying for permanent residence or working under NAFTA. There are other exceptions for certain circumstances as well.
  7. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

If you get a work permit, surely it tells you how long you are allowed to stay and work. If the job requires you to stay longer, you can just show proof and then request an extension.
  8. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

They are generally issued for 2 years, and you can apply for an extension - whether an extension is approved depends on the circumstances - the occupation, employer, economic conditions, and so forth.