Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Gotta be kidding me!

Discussion in 'Canada Experience' started by sh4dow, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

I just read that as of the 1st of January this year, they changed the requirements for this program from 24 months of experience within the last 36 months down to 12. I thought to myself "Hell yeah! I'll apply right away, I have 16!!". But then I saw on the CIC website that one of the other requirements is: "apply while working in Canada or within one year of leaving your job in Canada"

... and I had to leave Canada early December of 2011 (which happened because of a mistake by CIC that they admitted to but refused to correct). How ridiculous is that?! Had I been allowed to leave just six weeks later, I would be filling out forms right now!
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

I know individuals who were in your exact circumstances - not fair at all.
  3. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

Indeed. If it matters so much to them that the experience in Canada is recent, why not just make it 12 months within the last 24 and leave out that requirement about when one left?
    At any rate... Thanks for the kind words.
  4. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

That really is unfair. Have you tried appealing to appropriate offices? Perhaps someone could consider your application individually, considering you only missed the mark by a bit over a month and the requirement was changed when you were supposedly working your way up to the old policy?
  5. sh4dow

sh4dow New Member

Did you see the part about "which happened because of a mistake by CIC that they admitted to but refused to correct"? It seems to me there is no appealing to CIC (unless you meant that as a legal term. In which case I guess one can file appeals. But... I wasn't in the application process already anyway). In fact, I would rather not EVER deal with them again in my life. But... seeing as Canada is pretty much the only place to be for me for various personal reasons, I simply have to.
    Plus, I wasn't working my way up to the old policy - couldn't have, since I had to leave Canada. Precisely because of the changes to the Canada experience PR, I could have applied for it. Had I left a bit later OR had they implemented the changes about two months sooner.
  6. Magnolias

Magnolias New Member

I did see that part. It really sucks how we mere mortals have to be absolutely perfect in every way and the system can mess up and get away with it.

I was thinking of trying to apply on an individual basis, considering you missed the mark by such short time and perhaps the policy change happened on short notice? Some policy changes allow a transitional period for people who qualified in the old system to apply after the change, and for people who would've qualified if given a longer notice. But I honestly don't know if that's possible here, maybe you could call them? Though after my adventures with phone consultants, I'd be expecting to get a different answer depending on who picks up at the call centre.

I hope you can find a way to get your PR. Good luck!
  7. slovakhope

slovakhope New Member

It's incredible how often the rules change. It's unfortunate that a lot of people are caught up in the changes. That's why it's great to have sites like this that bring the info right away. It's not easy sifting through all the documentation and news releases just to glean a bit of needed information.