Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Falsification of Documents and Deportation Appeal

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges and Convictions' started by Maple, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Maple

Maple New Member

I was in a restaurant the other day, and I overheard a group of people having a discussion about a permanent resident in Canada who was facing deportation. I'm not sure if I heard it right, but it sounded like this woman was convicted of falsification of documents. Certain stories can be blown out of proportion, so my question is: Is falsification of documents a ground for deportation? Can you make a deportation appeal when found guilty of this offense?
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, falsification of documents can be considered a "misrepresentation" and in certain circumstances can lead to deportation, even for permanent residents. Mispresentation in the immigration system is a serious offense, as decisions are based on information provided by the applicant. If that information is wrong or misleading, it undermines the decision-making process that allowed that individual to enter Canada. As a result, that individual may be forced to leave if falsified documents are discovered.

This has been a real issue lately and there have been several news items in the media about Citizenship and Immigration Canada cracking down on people who entered Canada on false pretenses.
  3. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

I just have to wonder - if a person actually makes it "in" after falsifying their paperwork, does anyone really pay much attention to them anymore? I don't think that they are really observed afterward, and unless they cause trouble in the country, no one is going to go back and look through the paperwork again.
  4. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

Good question Pioneer. I would guess that it depends on exactly what they lied about. For instance, claiming a certain qualification you don't have may be discovered more easily than something less important.
  5. judyk

judyk New Member

I wonder what kind of tracking they do have in place of people who have been accepted. I would think they do have measures in place keeping track of whether their systems are working.
  6. loon92

loon92 New Member

It is probably that Citizenship and Immigration Canada hears of someone in another country selling falsified documents and traces it back to the immigrants who became permanent residents.
  7. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that does happen - individuals who forge documents are arrested overseas (or in Canada), and then people who purchased those documents are tracked down.
  8. Rosalie

Rosalie New Member

They may have a process where they have auditors who go through applications and double check all the information after the fact. That may turn up something questionable in the application process and they may investigate.
  9. slingshot_fuel

slingshot_fuel New Member

The issue with falsification of application documents will come under close scrutiny during the eventual citizenship application. This usually occurs 2 to 5 years after receiving Permanent Residency. Your initial application documents are closely scrutinized and any discrepancy during this immigration procedure can lead to deportation and the revocation of the Permanent Residency status.