Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Eligible Relatives

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by Wanderer, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

Besides your spouse and children, who are considered your eligible relatives? Who else can a permanent resident or citizen sponsor? Are you allowed to sponsor your common-law partner?
  2. Maple

Maple New Member

Well, parents and grandparents used to fall under the eligible relatives category until the temporary suspension on sponsoring parents and grandparents took effect. Adopted children are considered eligible relatives. I think that grandsons or granddaughters and brothers or sisters who are orphaned and are under 18 can also be sponsored.
  3. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I hope these laws are a little flexible. With all the divorced families and children whose parents are missing in action, or whose parents never married in the first place, the laws would have to have some special provisions for interpretation, don't you think?
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you would think in this modern age, that the definitions of family members would be flexible to reflect our modern times. However, the law is quite specific on who and who is not a family member. But I agree it is certainly time to adjust the rules to refect reality.
  5. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

I'm surprised that Canadian law has not yet addressed all the myriad of family memberships that are prevalent these days. Family units and the disappearance of old-fashioned definitions of what that means are a trend that will not go away.
  6. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

I'm telling my age, I guess, but there was a great satisfaction in the old-fashioned concept of family. It's still one of the best concepts ever come up with, even though in many cases it fell apart. Families who stuck together, prayed together and lived together to gain a better life is what made these nations we so love.
  7. Queenie

Queenie New Member

Northern Lights, I couldn't agree more. I just don't see a way to turn back the clock and bring back the cohesive, supportive family unit of days gone by. I think the best folks like us can do is continue to uphold family values as we know them.
  8. WanderingSue

WanderingSue New Member

Is the suspension on sponsoring parents and grandparents related to concerns about possible pressures on the health care system? I am still not sure how the rules cover distant relatives, say second cousins or the like.
  9. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

If these are the only eligible categories left it's going to be very difficult for most people to sponsor a relative. I can understand the orphan rule, but seriously, how many people will qualify for that?