Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Doctors and Nurses

Discussion in 'Federal Skilled Worker' started by loon92, Sep 11, 2013.

1. loon92

loon92 New Member

Someone told me that there is a need for qualified general practitioners and nurses in Canada. Is this true? Could a doctor from the U.S. work in Canada? I know they have a Canada-wide health care system so is the pay for a general practitioner equivalent to the U.S?
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes and no. In the big cities such as Vancouver and Toronto, then need is not so great. However, there is a great need in smaller communities, especially in rural areas.

A doctor or nurse certified elsewhere would have to be certified in Canada, and each profession has a governing body that does just that. Depending on your education and experience, it may be fairly easy to practice in Canada, or more difficult.

Yes we have a national health care system. I would think a general practitioner in the US likely makes more. However, that practitioner's liability insurance will be several times more given the litigious nature of the US and the way courts there calculate damages. So overall, I would bet that the net income of the two would be quite similar.
  3. canada2015

canada2015 New Member

dear sir,

read your write up that Canada does not need pharmacist again, also with the introduction of EOI in 2014/2015 the new process does not seem to favor doctors or pharmacist knowing fully well they would need to be licensed to practice. sir can u explain further as to the chances of foreign trained pharmacist and doctors are very very slim.
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Although pharmacists were dropped from the eligible occupation list for federal skilled workers, they can still apply through one of the provincial nominee programs. Given that pharmacists are governed exclusively by provincial legislation, this does make more sense.

Hope this helps.