Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Diversions in oregon

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges and Convictions' started by soute21, Mar 7, 2012.

1. soute21

soute21 New Member

In oregon we have diversions, it is a program you can take if you are eligible for your 1st DUII, basically you arent convicted of a DUII (there is no criminal record of it other than the fact you were detained and that you took the program) my question is would that make me inadmissible to visit canada? im planning a trip in a few weeks and just heard of about the law, like i said legally i have not been "convicted" of a dui but i dont know how that works with canada laws..
  2. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Does Canada, or any other country, for that matter, actually look at your record, when you are just going to visit? Usually, you can just buy your ticket and go. I think your record only comes into question if you plan on living there.
  3. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

A criminal conviction can prevent you from entering Canada to visit (not just living here). I'm not familiar with diversions in Oregon so I can't comment on how that program would affect your visit. You would need to check your FBI criminal record to ensure it does not include a DUI conviction (which would normally prevent you from entering Canada). And you would need to check your State criminal record as well.
  4. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

If they look at your criminal history, and see anything that looks suspicious, they are not going to be too happy to accept you into the country. Think about it - no country wants to take a chance on letting in any "shady" characters.