Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Could I drive in Canada?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shineey, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Shineey

Shineey New Member

I am curious about the rules for foreigners if they want to drive in Canada. If I was a student would an International Driving Permit (IDP) be acceptable?
  2. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

You should check with AAA. They issue International License's at a very low cost. I think I paid $15 for mine. It is good for a year, and it is good for many countries.
  3. Andy Duhurst

Andy Duhurst New Member

It may depend on which country you are from, (or at least the country you acquired the driving licence in.) Many licences are acceptable without anything extra being done for a year or so in a new country.
  4. judyk

judyk New Member

I checked into this a bit. It varies for each province. In some provinces, if you come from certain countries, they will do a license swap. Others simply allow you to keep your valid license from your previous home until it expires, and then get your new Canadian one. Some provinces want you to get your new Canadian license much sooner.

So, know before you go, eh?
  5. Ammie

Ammie New Member

This might be an ignorant question but on which side of the road do the Canadians drive? In the UK, Australia, South Africa and a few other countries which were British Colonies, the citizens still drive on the left side of the road. My guess is that Canada does the same?
  6. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Actually Canada drives on the right-hand side of the road. This was done to match the USA, which also drives on the right side. But lots of people from the UK and Australia drive here without much difficulty - just choose an automatic rather than a standard, otherwise you would be shifting with the other arm.
  7. Ammie

Ammie New Member

Thank you for this informative post, Panusa. We drive on the left-hand side of the road (South Africa), so I will surely choose an automatic vehicle for driving in Canada. I actually know very little about Canada except that everyone I ever met who visited your country, could not stop singing its praises.