Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Can I Sponsor Wife?

Discussion in 'Sponsorship' started by MaultarDarquesoul, Jun 11, 2014.

1. MaultarDarquesoul

MaultarDarquesoul New Member

I am a Canadian citizen born in Canada, in my 30's, married to her for almost 17 years. She is from the US and has a clean criminal background. I have a clean Canadian background. We lived in the US for most of those married years. I was a perm resident in the US. I got convicted of a felony in the US and was deported. She came with me, I got a job up here, they ran a Canadian background check on me and I got the job so I assume all is fine. We have 2 kids, both are Canadian citizens. Question is can I sponsor wife with my US blip? Will they tear us apart because of that? She is in tears thinking she will have to move back to the US and us get a divorce. Can my mom sponsor her? Are we doomed? Please advise if you know. Thanks
  2. MaultarDarquesoul

Also my US conviction was Sept 2013 so under the 5 year thing. Beginning to think I can't sponsor and we are doomed unless someone else can sponsor her
  3. MaultarDarquesoul

Well I found out from CiC that we need to file a humanitarian/compassionate perm residency. Being married for 17 years, 2 minor children I hear the odds are in our favor. But you don't get an appeal per say so you have to make sure all your ducks are in a row when you submit. Strongly advise an attorney they say. So guess I will be shopping about.
  4. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

Yes, hire a lawyer for an H&C application absolutely - otherwise your chances are not good in my experience (and I'm not trying to get work here - we don't generally take on H&C applications).
  5. MaultarDarquesoul

One Lawyer I am talking to is trying to still get me to see if I can sponsor even though I've told her this. $250 to apply and if denied THEN they offer further advice. When CiC told us on the phone no I won't be accepted. She said don't talk to CiC reps for legal advice they