Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Applying for temporary work visa through CIC with theft charge

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges and Convictions' started by Durag, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Durag

Durag New Member

Hi,

I am in the process of finalizing my CIC application. I am applying from Ireland for the two year IEC work visa program.

My concern is that i have three convictions - all from 2006. I sent off the police cert to CIC which stated i had two convictions for public order offences (one for drunk & disorderly, and one for threatening behavior) and one for theft.

CIC requested additional documents to back these up which i did, and on the reports i received from the courts, the police cert was incorrect, i did not receive a conviction for theft, it was dismissed. I did however receive another public order in its place.

I know CIC has a 10 year rehabilitation process for theft, but is that only if there was a conviction? It was for an item valued at €40.

Will this cause any issues?

Thanks,
    Paul
  2. A temporary resident permit lets you enter or stay in Canada if:

• it has been less than five years since the end of your sentence or
    • you have valid reasons to be in Canada.
    If you have a valid reason to travel to Canada, but you are inadmissible, we may issue you a temporary resident permit. An immigration or border services officer will decide if your need to enter or stay in Canada outweighs the health or safety risks to Canadian society