Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Applying Alone or with the Family?

Discussion in 'Federal Skilled Worker' started by Wanderer, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I have a friend who has a serious plan to move to Canada for good. She is married with one kid. Her husband will be the principal applicant. I think they're ready with all the required documents except for the 'settlement' fund, which is a big amount of money. With this, they're considering another option, which is to let the husband apply alone because the funds required for one is a lot less than for a family of three. The plan is that once the husband has settled himself in Canada, he will sponsor her and their daughter. Do you think this is a better step or if it were you, would you rather have your entire family move to Canada at the same time? Your thoughts and opinions will be helpful. :)
  2. Maple

Maple New Member

I understand that they've considered letting the husband go first because of the issue on the required funds. However, sponsoring the wife and the daughter means another round and another kind of application. If they can exhaust other means to acquire sufficient proof of funds, then my take is for the entire family to move together. :)
  3. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

At least the husband can check out how he likes living that far north. He can get a better feel for the area, too, so that his wife and child will have an easier transition. He could live several places and check out schools, neighborhoods and so forth without having the added needs of a family to deal with.
  4. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

I think these are good points to consider. The husband can move and act freely and prepare the basic things that my friend and their daughter need when they arrive. When the husband has settled himself, it will only be my friend and their daughter who need to deal with the changes.
  5. Northern Lights

Why did they decide to move to Canada? We love the country after having visited there a few times over the years. I can understand wanting to live there part of the time, and during the summer when it gets so hot and humid where we are. We're not ready to commit to all year.
  6. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

As a married couple, he should not apply alone. Citizenship and Immigration Canada would consider the failure to include his spouse as a "misrepresentation" which can get a person excluded from Canada for a long period of time. Aside from that, a failure to include her would mean he would be barred from sponsoring her in future.
  7. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

Oh I see. It isn't as simple as I thought it would be. I guess my friend and her husband also failed to realize the legal implications (or should I say complications) of applying alone when in fact the applicant is married. I better tell them about this. Thanks a lot for this very important piece of information.
  8. Northern Lights

Panusa, I am seeing more and more why it's good to check with a professional who knows immigration law inside out before taking any kind of action in relating to moving to Canada. One little assumption can turn into a house of cards.
  9. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

I think,her husband should move first there,because of the problem of funds.After his settling down properly,his wife and daughter should move there,you thought very well,it is the best step.

canada work permit
  10. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

They should just be honest and show their intention of moving to Canada as a family. This will eliminate any complications in the future. Besides, with all of the legalities, who wants to go through all of the paperwork over again?
  11. Panusa

Honesty in applications is absolutely critical - CIC relies on what you present in your application in making a decision. That's why misrepresentation is such a serious issue in immigration, and can have such serious consequences for those who are not completely truthful.
  12. kiran altaf

kiran altaf New Member

hi m married n we also want to immigarate to canada please give me guidence we are a family of three husband me n my daughter
  13. Panusa

Hello Kiran. If you like, perhaps you could email me at info@immigrationcanada.pro and provide your resume/CV and I can let you know your options for visiting Canada.
  14. kiran altaf

kiran altaf New Member

thankx 4 ur kind reply i will soon send u my husband cv bcoz he iz da principal applicant