Immigration Canada - PanCanadian Immigration Law Group

Application Process

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barbara, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Barbara

Barbara New Member

Hi, I'd like to start the application process to immigrate to Canada- how does the process take?

Thanks,
    B.
  2. Panusa

Panusa Administrator Staff Member

That always depends on the category under which you are applying. For federal skilled workers, currently it is at least 12-14 months. Out of Canada sponsorships are less, around 7 months, but it does vary between CIC offices.
  3. Canphil18

Canphil18 New Member

My family is applying for a Permanent Residence Visa in Canada and our application is currently in process. We just went through our medical last November 2011 and awaiting for further instructions. However, the Embassy has asked for my youngest daughter's, who is 2 years old, a re-evaluation from a Development Pediatrician because she has Language/Speech delay. My family fear from visa denial or application rejection at this point. And that our medical results expire its validity. Can you please enlighten me? Will really appreciate your insights. Thank you very much.
  4. Panusa

I can certainly understand your anxiety, however, that is normal practice for CIC when a medical condition is noted in the first medical (CIC always requests a follow-up regardless). So a new medical does not mean anything in particular. The visa officer must determine if your daughter will place excessive demands on the healthcare system.

Although it is very tough to predict any situation because every one is unique, but in my experience, such a condition would not normally prevent an individual from immigrating. Medical conditions usually have to be more serious and require a lot of care.
  5. Canphil18

Canphil18 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I understand. My family and I am hoping for a more positive outcome on our application soon. However, may I just ask... Do the medical procedure results done for each applicant have a certain time validity or expiration? What if our application may take more time to be reviewed and processed, more than a year perhaps (which is really beyond our timeline expectation already), will we be asked to repeat the same medical procedure?
  6. Panusa

Generally medicals will be good for 1 year from the date taken. If processing goes beyond that, unfortunately, you'll likely have to take the medicals again. CIC is typically pretty good about getting everything done before medicals expire - they understand that it is a hassle and expense to do them all over again.
  7. Canphil18

Canphil18 New Member

8. Panusa

My pleasure - feel free to recommend our forum on your Facebook page or Twitter account as we are new and welcome new members.
  9. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

I think a lot of people would like to live in Canada, especially because of the good health insurance there. But I can also understand Canada being careful about people who are coming over, as they may be a burden on their health dollars.
  10. Panusa

Definitely a balance - but for the most part, people contribute more to the country (in terms of taxes, skills, etc), than they take out in terms of health care costs.