Conjugal Partner Sponsorship


I get a lot of enquiries from Canadians who wish to sponsor their significant other when they are not married or living together. The only option in these cases is the conjugal partner category.

This can be a tough category of immigration in which to succeed however. Unlike the common law or marriage category, the significant other in the conjugal partner category must reside outside of Canada.

In addition, there must be considerable evidence of physical, social and emotional interdependence — evidence that the relationship involves a long term commitment on behalf of the couple.

Successful conjugal applications always include most or all of the following:

  • Mutual commitment to a shared life;
  • Exclusive – cannot be in more than one conjugal relationship at a time;
  • Intimate – commitment to sexual exclusivity;
  • Interdependent – physically, emotionally, financially, socially;
  • Permanent – long-term, genuine and continuing relationship;
  • Present themselves as a couple;
  • Regarded by others as a couple;
  • Caring for children (if there are children);
  • Naming one another as beneficiaries of insurance policies or estates;
  • Joint ownership of possessions;
  • Joint decision-making with consequences for one partner affecting the other;
  • Financial support of one another (joint expenses or sharing of income, etc.);
  • Passage of time (that 1 month relationship won’t do!)

As a couple, you must ask yourselves if you are truly committed for a lifetime, and if you don’t have some or all the evidence above, you must seriously question if you are in a conjugal relationship or if you are simply dating as a pre-cursor to a more committed relationship from a Canada immigration point of view.

About the author

Gianpaolo Panusa Gianpaolo Panusa is a Canadian immigration lawyer, writer, and founder of the PanCanadian Immigration Law Group based in Vancouver, Canada. Google+ Profile

  1. September 27, 2007
  2. September 27, 2007
  3. October 30, 2007
  4. October 30, 2007
  5. December 1, 2007
  6. December 2, 2007
  7. January 20, 2008
  8. January 21, 2008
  9. January 29, 2008
  10. January 30, 2008
  11. February 19, 2008
  12. February 26, 2008
  13. April 16, 2008
  14. June 3, 2008
  15. October 10, 2008
  16. October 22, 2008
  17. June 25, 2009
  18. February 14, 2010
  19. May 6, 2010
  20. May 6, 2010
  21. October 28, 2012

    Hello.. I would like to know if you can give me an advice about my situation. I am still married here in Canada but is now separated for a year. My ex husband moved to thailand and I heard that he is engaged now to someone else. Anyway, I found a boyfriend now but he doesn’t hold a permanent residence here in Canada. Can you by any chance give me advice what to do so I can get my boyfriend to live with me? I hold permanent residence here. Thanks.

    • October 29, 2012

      Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, your situation is too complex to give an answer on a blog such as this. It will be a challenge to have you your boyfriend live with you if he does not have temporary or permanent status in Canada.

  22. March 30, 2013

    im from phils and my partner sponsor me as a conjugal.and we are 2 years being conjugal to each other…all the the categories above we had all of that evidences..and i applied august 2012… so when is that expected time i can come to canada and is there a hope that my papers as conjugal partner wil be sucessful?

Write a comment:

Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.